Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, July 06, 2013

Wildflowers

The frequent rain has produced an abundance of wildflowers. These are some growing along the road by Polecat Creek Farm.


I love the color of chickory. One one side of the road, the flowers are a deeper color than on the other side. 


I've seen more chickory along the road this year than I've seen for the last several years. 



A lot of black-eyed Susans are also along the road.




Near one clump of black-eyed Susans is some narrow-leafed white-topped aster


I haven't seen much of it before and, until recently, I didn't know what it was. How one little clump appeared beside our hayfield is a mystery.


There's plenty of yarrow, though. Some people call it carrot weed. It is reported to have medicinal properties.


Next to this clump of yarrow is some daisy fleabane.


I think this orange flower is butterfly weed, but I could be wrong. Anyhow, it's pretty.


It's hard to believe that some folks consider these lovely wildflowers as weeds.

I don't. I love to see them as I drive the backroads.
~


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I don't know the names of wildflowers, but I do think they are pretty. I think I have seen all of the ones pictured in the fields behind my house.

8:41 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

I wish I knew the flower names better. I can figure them out sometimes with a guide book but I would love to be able to just walk along and say "this is aster."

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home