Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Galax 2013


I love going to Galax every June for the Leaf & String Festival. I've attended in 2010, 2011, and 2012. This year, I wasn't up to doing two days, so I only went on Friday.  Chapters Bookshop sponsors the Authors on Grayson tent, and they really know how to make authors welcome. Here's how I looked after I sat up my display.


I was next to Karen J. Hall on one side . . . 


. . . and Betsy Ashton on the other.


One of the visitors to the tent was a charming and well-behaved labradoodle named Skittles. Unfortunately, the dog didn't read.


From time to time, I wandered to a few nearby shops. In the antique store (I think it's A Place in Time) on the corner, I found this little coin purse that looks like a Laurel Burch design.


I bought my lunch (chef salad with pork) at the Galax Smokehouse. They always give a discount to authors.


Among some of the arts along Main Street were these hand-woven and hand-dyed baskets.


This big chair was a hit with the kids. I asked the maker how it got it to the festival. He said he just slid it onto the back of his pickup truck.


Here's a detail of the back.


The craftsman also made other furniture to sit on. I love the tractor seat stools.


I saw this giraffe in front of a gallery. The critter was made of a gazillion bits of beer cans.


Actually, there were two of them. I should have gone in the shop, but I didn't have time.


This was the first time I've been to Galax where it didn't rain, so the drive home Friday evening was pleasant. However, it's taking me a couple of days to recover from the trip. I'm not as young as I used to be, and the aches and pains of old age are more evident.

But I'm still looking forward to Galax in 2014.
~

2 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

That looks like a wonderful event!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

That looks fun and you were in good company!

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home