Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Flowers and Cats

What's in my yard now? The bridal wreath has been spectacular this week.


The irises look good, too. I love this shade of blue.


Jim-Bob and Chloe check out the iris.


These irises at the old gazebo are a similar color, but they're a shade or two lighter.


These lavender ones beside the upper driveway are nice, too.


Here's a different view—with Camilla on a rock. Camilla is sort of a camouflage cat. She blends right into this flower bed.


Chloe gets into the picture. Hmmm. Not Chloe's best side. Poor Chloe can't help it if it looks like she was put together from spare cat parts.


 John brought this big rock from our farm down the road. Jim-Bob claimed the rock for himself. He likes to play mountain lion on it.


These tulips are tucked away under a bush. I'll have to move them one of these days.


The white azalea under a pin oak did well this year.



This is my favorite pin oak; no azalea under this one. But there is a bench where the cats and I often sit.


Flowers are just starting to come out around the new gazebo. The herbs survived the winter nicely. In a few weeks, there'll be a lot more flowers here.


Chloe shows her good side. She still looks like she was put together with spare cat parts, though.


~

5 Comments:

Blogger Elena DeRosa said...

Bridal wreath? I never knew that's what those shrubs were called. They're beautiful!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I just love all these pictures. The bridal wreath and the irises are so pretty. And of course I always enjoy pictures of kitties. The picture of Jim-Bob on the rock is really cute.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Elena, bridal wreath is a type of spirea. My mother had a big bridal wreath in her front yard; my grandmother also had one. My two were here when we bought the place in 1999.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Elena DeRosa said...

I have a couple of them around the house...we always just called them "Sideshow Bob's Hair" when they bloomed. Now we can refer to them by the real, and better, name ;)

1:42 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Lovely! You have a beautiful yard.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home