Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Revision Process

I've recently revised my middle grade novel that I'm preparing to shop around. I've already rewritten and revised more times than I care to count. The first revision, more than a year ago, was much easier. I was a lot pickier this time. Here's how my process goes:

1. Take a good look at the manuscript. Stand back and take a long look.

For the purpose of illustration, I'll use my old mare, Cupcake, as the manuscript.

2. Maybe look at it from several angles. Notice that the manuscript is too fluffy—too many excess words, maybe some excess characters. It is definitely in need of trimming.


3. Decide what can be trimmed. Sometimes whole chunks of the manuscript have to be removed. No point in keeping anything that doesn't serve the plot.


4. Cut mercilessly. Lose the clichés, the adverbs, the excess adjectives, anything that dangles, etc. Remember, the delete key is your friend. Before long, you'll be amazed at how much fluff you got rid of.


I know you want to see my finished manuscript, Faithful Readers, but it's still a work-in-progress. I still have several more revisions to go. . . . 

~

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA HA HA... Love this Becky! Why, look at all that fluff on the ground.

Di
(Good luck with the book!)

11:11 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Great analogy, Becky!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Oh that's good, Miss Becky! I'll bet Miss Cupcake feels better too.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Karen Wrigley said...

So..this equates to the red ink you put all over my manuscript.
Hum...but it must be done.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

A very good analogy. I would imagine doing a revision would be difficult.

9:39 AM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Excellent! Good luck with the revisions.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home