Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spring 2010 Arrives

According to the calendar, spring officially arrived last Saturday. However, the first sign of spring in my world didn't arrive until Tuesday.  How do I know spring is here?

Is it when the snow is gone and the grass turns green and the cats cavort in the warm air?


No. Is it when the crocuses bloom?


No. Is it when the tulips pop up?


No. Is it when the daffodils bloom?


No. Is it when the windflowers bloom?


No. Maybe when the forsythia blooms?


No. When the phlox booms, maybe?


No, no, no.

Spring officially begins when Emma, the senior dog. . .


. . . gets her makeover, and emerges from her shaggy winter self into her sleek spring self:


Yes, that is the same dog. (One of Emma's previous spring makeovers is here.) Emma is not—as a nice lady in the vet's reception room asked—pregnant. Emma, who has never had an actual waistline, is pudgy.

But the sheared Emma is the one true definite sign of spring around these parts.
~

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hubby brought home a business card from a gal he works with who has a dog grooming business. He wants to get our Missy shaved this summer because she gets sooo hot, but to be honest, she's slowed down so much I just don't know if she will be with us this summer. Emma looks nice in her new summer do!

Di

12:57 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Love this post. I know Emma is much more comfortable with her summer look. Wish I could get my cat done - she is beginning to shed clumps of matted hair.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

I can't believe how big the kittens are! Gorgeous shots.

10:41 AM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Gosh, that dog looks completely different! Wow. Love your photos.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You certainly have an abundance of budding flowers! I love it that you post so many pictures, I always enjoy seeing them. I frequently come to your blog but have never left a comment before, but I found the post a couple back talking about the glowing orbs possibly being the ghosts of refused books, and had to commend you on brilliant mental chocolate. It certainly sounds like you've been busy lately with "Ferradiddledumday" claiming such popularity. Although I'm not surprised; I sat down and read the entire book a while back and enjoyed it immensely! You and Mr. Bruce did a masterful job at taking the most important parts from the text and bringing them to life. I saw the dramatization at the Franklin County library. You might actually remember me; I was the curly haired teenager with the "cheesy" book summary. I still cringe about that and pray that you've forgiven me...
Hope today finds you well and cheerful!

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home