Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, April 02, 2010

Mulching

I've been using the nice weather to work on my flower beds. Yesterday morning I finished off my first two scoops of mulch, so today we made another run down Route 40 to Gardner's lumber yard for two more scoops.

Our empty trailer waits in front of "Mulch Mountain" for the first scoop.


Here it comes!


Into the trailer:


Now for the second scoop:


The two scoops get patted down so we won't lose any on the way home: 


See how nice those two scoops look. We're ready to roll.


Here's where about half the load will go—the front flower bed near the mailbox:


Another view:


Is this pretty mulch, or what?


~

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so much work. David did most of our mulch new last year. We still have areas in the backyard that are in need. I'll bet your new mulch looks great!

Di

10:23 PM  
Blogger Elena DeRosa said...

I hate the smell of mulch! I banned it from my house many years ago when we found termites in it. Now we use rocks which only works if you don't have too much land and just flower beds.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Becky, for the vicarious mulch experience! All the pictures look great!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

This mulch smells great. It was ground on-site at the sawmill. I try to buy only locally produced mulch, so I don't get a lot of foreign stuff. We have a lot of red clay, so I want something that will biodegrade and enrich the soil.

I have loads of rocks too, but they're for decorative purposes.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

I wish Gardner's lumber yard were closer to my house. That's nice-looking mulch!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Very pretty mulch. I know your flower bed is beautiful now. I could use a couple of loads in my yard.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home