Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Snake in the Woods

On Monday, John and I took a truck ride over the farms in Penhook and Union Hall to make sure the fertilizer truck could get through on Tuesday. As we went down the old road into the Tom Brown Place, something crossed in front of us. Then it hid in some old logs:


Did you see it? Only the face and tip of the tail is showing.

The poet Emily Dickinson noticed snakes, too:

A narrow fellow in the grass
Occasionally rides;
You may have met him, did you not,
His notice sudden is.

The grass divides as with a comb,
A spotted shaft is seen;
And then it closes at your feet
And opens further on.
He likes a boggy acre,
A floor too cool for corn.
Yet when a child, and barefoot,
I more than once, at morn,
Have passed, I thought, a whip-lash
Unbraiding in the sun,
When, stooping to secure it,
It wrinkled, and was gone.
Several of nature's people
I know, and they know me;
I feel for them a transport
Of cordiality;
But never met this fellow,
Attended or alone,
Without a tighter breathing,
And zero at the bone.
Well, this "narrow fellow" wasn't in the grass; it was in the logs. When I saw it, I grabbed the camera and jumped out of the truck to take some pictures. Take a closer look. See it peeking out?

The black snake beat its tail against the log to frighten me off, but the ploy didn't work. In dry leaves, the beating tail will sound like a rattlesnake's rattles, but this critter didn't scare me. In the above picture, you can just see the tip of the tail in front of the snake's face.


When John moved the log, the snake decided not to stick around.


It stuck out its tongue at me one more time before it made itself into a whiplash and slithered into the woods. 
I didn't breathe tighter or feel zero at the bone; actually, I thought this little black critter was kinda cute.
~

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I detest snakes and they frighten me since being chased with one in hand by one of my brothers during childhood. BUT, black snakes are good and I try to remember that even though they make me cringe.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

9:50 AM  
Blogger TURKEYBREATH said...

I love your affection and careful attention to the black snake- your blog is a joy to me!

-amelia

10:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OOH, does that mean I'm rubbing off on you? Creepy critters are cute now?

11:23 AM  
Blogger Elena DeRosa said...

Good eye seeing that little guy.

We have a huge black snake that visits us once a year at the shop in Salem. It's got to be over ten feet long. We don't bother him, he doesn't bother us. I figure he's good for control of the rodent population.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

CUTE?????? Becky, there isn't anything cute about a snake. You and Henry have been in cahoots, haven't you?

4:41 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

::shiver::
(low muttering)
"Snake, snake!" said she. "Can't stand the things and she shows me pictures!"
::shiver::

(It's a good blog post, though, in spite of the subject matter.)

9:04 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Cute black snake. I don't mind black snakes, but I don't want anything to do with a copperhead.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home