Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, March 05, 2011

Oh, The Error

Somedays it's difficult to suppress the English teacher I once was. Today was one of those days.

I spent the morning combing my final galley of Stuck for errors. I found four that I hadn't found previously and e-mailed them to the publisher. I was still (ahem) stuck in my error-finding mode, though.


Later, I picked up the copy of Pat Conroy's South of Broad that I bought at the Discovery Shop last week. I was only a few pages in when a pronoun case error jumped from page 3. Do you see it?


Look at the sixth line down: At night, he would take my brother, Steve, and I out into the boat. . . . 

I should be me because it's a direct object of the verb take. My father would take my brother. My father would take me. My father would take my brother and me. Why did an editor not catch this?

If I were being especially persnickety, I might object to the plethora of commas in that sentence. Conroy doesn't need the first comma because the introductory prepositional phrase (At night) is only two words. Were it a longer prepositional phrase, then the comma would be necessary.

Conroy also doesn't need those commas separating the appostive Steve from its antecedent brother. A one-word appositive doesn't need to be set apart. In fact, using those commas makes the number of people in the boat unclear. Did Conroy's father take Conroy and his brother in the boat? Or Conroy, his brother, and someone else named Steve?

If an error or two has slipped through in the edits of Stuck, at least I'll be in good company.
~


Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have so many days like this. ESPECIALLY when people mix up I and Me. My boyfriend is also a copy editor for a newspaper, so we frequently have rant sessions about grammar mistakes. Can be fun. :)

~Tara

5:26 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

In the writer and editor's defense, those commas are MS Word style these days. If you use the grammar review/check, it insists on commas in those places. I see this a lot in copyediting these days.

But I agree, it seems like too many commas.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

This is why I get performance anxiety when I talk to you on Facebook, lol. You are sharp.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Wow, I learned all that stuff in school but have forgotten most of it during the last 45 years. Maybe I should get out my copy of English Grammar and refresh my memory.

4:05 PM  
Blogger R.M. said...

At least I'm not alone! This drives me crazy, and my 'friends' on Facebook drive me crazy with this BECAUSE they are lawyers and doctors and such. They should know better!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home