Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, December 25, 2009

White Christmas

If you were looking for a Christmas that's merry and bright, it wasn't today. Today came close, though. Thanks to this morning's freezing rain that later turned to regular rain, it was dreary and white.

When I went to feed this morning, I was pelted with sleet or freezing rain. I'm not sure which. Today was the first time my glasses ever iced over while I was feeding critters.

 Thanks to the several inches of last week's snow storm,  today was officially a white Christmas.



Normally, you'd see Smith Mountain to the right in the above. Not today.




The above picture is what the view from my study window looked like late this afternoon. Normally, you'd see the Peaks of Otter. Not today, though. Even with all the rain, my front steps and sidewalk were still snowed/iced under.



If it's bright you want, we need to back up a few days. Thanks to a bit of hubby's tractor work, I have a path down the yard and a more or less plowed bottom driveway.



He even made the tractor equivalent of crop circles in the back yard.



Is that cool, or what? Well, it's beyond cool.  It's frozen.

Merry Christmas!

5 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Merry Christmas Becky!
We've had rain today which has melted a lot of our snow. Looks like you still have lots on the ground.

7:40 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Our snow is leaving us, sort of. I am ready for it to go away now.

Hope your holiday was wonderful in spite of the dreary weather.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Faris said...

How beautiful! It was cold and dreary here, but no snow. :-(

9:31 AM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Love John's crop circles!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Oh please let it not come back! I normally love snow. It's so pretty. But it is too hard with the horses.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home