Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Another Red Sky, Another View

From my study window last evening, I noticed the clouds glowing red. The window faces north. Why was the northern sky so red? Last evening's sunset was spectacular—another sky so blazing with fall color that I guess the western sky couldn't hold all of it. I went outside for another view.

From the front porch, I took this picture:


The Peaks of Otter appear as blue barely above the tree-line at the far right. That's north.

Moving my camera westward, I saw the sky even redder:


From the deck, and facing westward, I could see wisps of clouds reaching upward:


I peeked through the pines that divide my lawn from the pasture, and saw the western sky ablaze:


If I were writing a story that took place at sunset, how much of the sunset should I describe? To go on and on for pages would be boring. How could I capture the grandeur of the sunset in a few words? How much setting is really important to plot.

Is much nature-type description even necessary when the action is what's important? So, what action might have been happening yesterday evening?

Not much, just a mantis couple wanting a little privacy on my house's back wall:


Would the mantis picture be more effective if the setting were included? After all, the female will kill the male after their little tryst is concluded. And that red sky in the background can lend an ominous tone to what's happening in the foreground.

See?


Just something to think about. So many words, so little time. . . .
~

4 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Love your pictures of the red evening sky. Wonder if the male mantis saw the red sky and realized his fate.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mantises fascinate me, especially when the male escapes at the last minute and lives to mate another day! :D

~Tara

12:59 AM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Ooo, I think we saw the same sky! Beautiful!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

The last sunset picture is my favorite. I just love the pink tones!

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home