Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Disclosure


According to the FTC, bloggers who do any sort of reviews now "must disclose freebies and financial interests or face fines up to $11,000, according to rules announced by federal regulators Monday in an attempt to make word-of-mouth endorsements on the net easier to believe." (Here's the FTC website just in case you want to have a closer look.
Warning: It's boring.)

Anyhow, I occasionally review books (mainly Appalachian fiction) on this blog
which I would like to point out to the FTC and anyone else who is interested that I have never made a cent on. I have gotten a couple of ARCs to review and an actual copy of a book on a couple of occasions. One author even sent me some stuff (tea, lavender water, & lavender soap) that was mentioned in her historical fiction. Those items helped me understand the time period a bit better—especially the smells of the period. I shared the tea with my crit group.

Some of the books I review on this blog are ones I actually bought. Because I review those books so long after they were published, I doubt that my reviews count for much. But I'm an amateur. Professional reviews come out just before the book is published so readers can actually get it in a bookstore. (If books don't sell within six weeks or so, the bookstore sends them back. Reviewing a book that is no longer available in bookstores isn't especially helpful.)

I know that there are unscrupulous bloggers and online reviewers who charge for book reviews, and I hope that the FTC goes after those scumbags. I can't understand why an author would actually pay for a review anyhow, but apparently some authors aren't too bright.
(Some paid “review services” are here, here, here, here, and here.)

While I'm disclosing, I should point out that I’m not highly qualified to review. I don’t have a background in publishing. My master’s in English isn’t an MFA in creative writing; it’s an MAT in English education. I have published some reviews in local/regional publications—including two newspapers, but they’re a far cry from Publisher’s Weekly or NYT book reviews. For what it's worth, I'm basically just a literate reader with a fairly good background in American and British literature—and I like to share what I've enjoyed.

As for other products/good/services/etc., if I mention any on this blog, I paid for them myself or received them as presents from friends, not from the manufacturer. (When I get around to posting about my current kitchen renovation from hell or why I hate the recently redesigned Rocky Mount Wal-Mart with its recently jacked-up prices, bear in mind that I'm only expressing my opinion/telling about my experiences and I have received no monetary payments whatsoever. Though I wouldn't mind a kickback.)

This blog is for fun, not for profit.

Darn it.

Edited to add: See this link to agent Janet Reid's comments on the FTC decision.
~

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I agree that they need to find the jerks causing problems like this, and leave the rest of us alone!

I am also in complete agreement that the Rocky Mount Wal-Mart is totally out of hand. It's really driving me nuts.

~Tara

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your higher prices at the Wal-Mart there. How odd that they would raise their prices during these times of economic hardship for many folks.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Betsy Ashton said...

I agree that the scumbags who try and profit from blogs, demanding reader fees, promising something they can't possibly deliver (like an agent, or getting published with their help) need to be run off the Net. On the other hand, if someone is so gullible and so uneducated in the rules and regulations of the publishing industry probably get what they deserve -- rooked!

9:36 AM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Good post. These new rules are going to prove interesting.

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home