Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, September 07, 2008

Rearrangement

Since we moved into our house in 1999, a pothos plant has been on the mantle. At first it was mainly confined to the immediate area around its pot. Then it started to grow. And grow.

Last week it looked like this:


What to do? The "devil's ivy" was taking over. The cats were biting the leaves within their reach. I didn’t want to cut the plant back.

Then—an idea! Using some drapery tie-backs ($1 for a package of five at Goodwill), my husband and I festooned the plant between two, so it sort of became a mantle swag. My original idea was to untangle the plant and drape it over all five hooks.

Have you ever tried to untangle a very long vine while a couple of cats try to help? I gave up. Hence the swag:


The new rearrangement, like my newly begun YA novel, is still a work-in-progress. I'll tweak it a bit, make adjustments, do a bit or rearranging, etc., until I get it right.

Sometimes writing is like untangling a pothos. Sometimes you have to give up what seems like a great idea and go with one that’s more workable.

Been there, done that, too.
~

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

I believe I'd have to cut that thing back, but it does look nice like that.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I would have cut it back too. You're too patient!!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

I have one started on my window sill in the kitchen ! In the Keys, the pothos grew up into the trees, and the leaves would get at least a foot long, and very wide!

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home