Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Football Season

by Maggie Mae Mushko
(Border Collie: age 2 years & 10 months)

The other day Mommie finally took me for a walk on the farm. Hubert the beagle went with us, mainly because he escapes from the kennel while Mommie is getting me out, runs to the truck, and refuses to get out. However, he is good company (and knows I am the boss), so I don't mind having him along.

Because border collies multi-task, I don't just walk. I also play. I like to keep Mommie entertained while we walk, so I took my little orange football for her to throw. Also, it squeaks. I like that. All the best dog toys should squeak.


The game is pretty simple. I put the ball into her right hand. She throws it. I bring it back. Etc.


If she has friends walking with her, I make sure everyone gets a turn. It's only polite. Sometimes, finding the ball can be a challenge.


Sometimes, I get tired and have to call a timeout.


Then I pick up my football and play some more.


I could play with my football all day. Mommie won't throw it all day, though. She doesn't have my dogged determination.
~

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

I showed Belle and Penny this and they want to come over and spend time with their cousin Maggie...Penny will bring her little white football, but Belle only has one squeaky toy..her squirrel, and she won't share...can she still come and play????

3:50 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Maggie doesn't share with other dogs either. But Belle and Penny can come walk—er, run.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home