Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

RAIN!

Finally we're getting some much-needed rain. It started yesterday and continued on and off all night. For a while this morning a hard rain fell. As I write this post, the rain is falling steady. Flood watches are posted for the county and flood warnings for counties farther south. Here's the view from my front porch this morning:


And my sidewalk is wet!


I'm sure the farmers around here are happy to see this rain. It's probably come to late for us to get a second cutting of hay, but it will at least help the pasture.

Not everyone is happy to see the rain, though. I know a couple of cats who really wanted to go out today but decided it wasn't a good idea. Dylan has boxed himself up until the rain stops:


This is a good day to stay in and write. I've already worked on a couple of writing projects this morning. To my writer buddies, if y'all need some inspiration (or entertainment), here are a few sites I recommend:

This entry on the Coffee-Stained Writer blog lists 104 of the worst writing cliches. It's a hoot!

Chuck Sambuchino's Writer's Digest article about agents' pet peeves is worth a look. (One agent says, "Avoid any description of the weather." Good thing I'm not submitting today's blog post to an agent.) The other part of Chuck's article is here.

From Writer's Digest, here's a good article about eliminating adjectives and adverbs.

Since I shouldn't describe the weather or use excess adjectives, I guess I won't say that the rain is wet, wonderful, and welcome—even though it really is.
~

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I will vacuum - I wrote yesterday.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

rain lets me feel able to kick back...do nothing but read...vegitate...become a shark(lay low and feed)somehow the rain allows this ...

2:02 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I always hated rain. Being a horse person, outside all the time. Now, after all this drought, I want to dance in it.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home