Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Grandma Nace's Quilt

Sulmena (also spelled Sulmana and Sulmenia) Frances Spence Nace

This picture of my Great-Grandma Nace hangs in my living room.

In my living room, I also keep a quilt that she made when she was younger. I don't know how old it is, but it's well over a hundred. Grandma Nace died in 1945, several months before was born.


All the stitches were done by hand, and all the fabric is cotton. It's lined with a light layer of cotton, so it must have been made as a summer quilt. A quilter once told me the pattern is "Drunkard's Path."

Anyhow, when I touch this quilt, I touch my past.

~

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I have a picture like that on my living room wall and a quilt like that on my bed. But it's from a stranger and made by a stranger. In the city, living in railroad room apartments, you couldn't save anything. So I have other people's relatives on my wall. I should blog about that. Kurt says it's not normal, lol.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Actually, I've known a couple of people who had unknown photos on their walls. They liked the look of the old pictures. Instant ancestors!

You should blog about it.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home