Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Maggie in the Creek on Friday


On Friday, we took Maggie for a run at Smith Farm. Maggie, of course, soon headed for the creek.


There's so much for a border collie to investigate in a creek.


Framed by the arch of a bent tree, the spring comes from the hillside. Once there was a spring house here, and a huge oak towered over the spring. Both are gone.


Skunk cabbage grows along one section of the creek:


A few sycamore trees grow along the creek. When I was a kid, I was fascinated by the sycamore's peeling bark. Now, I just think it's pretty and offers a nice contrast to the other trees in the bottom.


The tops of the sycamores are white. See how these two contrasts with the other trees? In a few weeks, all these trees in this creek bottom will have leaves.


Maggie doesn't care about trees. But she loves a creek.


~~~

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Miss Maggie, it's too cold for you to be in that water!!!! You are going to make a big mess for your Mommy to clean up!!!
I never knew those trees were sycamore - I assumed they were maple. Thanks for the horticultural lesson!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Border collies love the cold! I wish I could get my mommie to play in sleet with me but she is a wimp.
--Maggie Mae Mushko (border collie)

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home