Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, March 17, 2019

Things in Bloom

Spring begins in a few days. Most of the trees are still bare, though.


But some flowers in my yard are blooming, so an elderly border collie and I went in search of things in bloom. We found a few.


By the road, the forsythia I planted years ago from just a stick was in full bloom.


Nearby, the peach tree that I planted years ago had some blooms, too, but not as many as previous years. I'd thought the tree was dying, but it's still hanging on.


The crocuses have beeen blooming for a while . . .



. . . and so have the windflowers . . .


. . . and daffodils.


The bridal wreath is blooming, too. I don't know how old it is, but it was here when we moved in twenty yeas ago.


The corkscrew willow isn't a flower, but it's still pretty. I'd bought it at a garden club sale at the farmers market over a decade ago. When I planted it in a low spot beside the kennel, it was only a few feet tall. 


I didn't plant the weeping cherry that grows along the pasture fence. A bird did that several years ago. My next door neighbor has a weeping cherry, so I know where the seed came from.



That's all that old Maggie and I found so far. Likely a lot more things will bloom during the next few weeks.
~

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

good pictures Becky !
We all are anticipating warmer weather.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home