Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, February 23, 2019

Cool Branch School Desk

Back in October  2017, I bought this little desk at an estate sale down the road. It came from the Cool Branch School which hasn't existed for decades.


The desk is so small, it must have been used by first or second graders. 


In the 2007 edition of Franklin County Virginia Yesterday and Today (that I also bought at the same sale), there's a picture of the school and some students from days gone by.


I wonder which child in the picture sat at the desk I bought. The boy on the far right? The little girl in the middle of the front row, maybe? Perhaps, at one time or another, they all did.

A former student of Cool Branch passed away in January. His obituary mentions that his education begn at Cool Branch. I wondeer if he used this desk. 
~

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home