Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Sunday Stealing Stolen

I stole this A to Z meme from Anita over at Blue Country Magic, who got it from Sunday Stealing. Figured I'd give it a try.

A. What are your favorite smells?
Lilacs and roses. Real ones, not the smell-less variety so prevalent today. I have a lilac that I grew from a slip picked from my grandmother's lilac, and a rose that was a slip from my mother's yard. Here's the rose:


B. Can you go a whole day without caffeine?
I doubt it. Gotta have coffee! But I've gone years without a soft drink.

C. Who knows more about you than anyone else?
Probably my husband of 47 years. But it could be various Internet spy-bots or whatever they're called.

D. What song did you last listen to?
I can't remember. I can go whole days without listening to songs.

E. Do you wear socks to bed?
When it's really cold.

F. Can you change a car tire?
The last tire I changed was on my 61 Ford Falcon in 1966.  Could I do it now? I don't know.

G. If you could choose one color to wear for a whole year, what color would you choose?
Black. Most of what i have is black. Second choice would be blue, my favorite color.

H. Do you cook often?
Every day. I've stopped eating processed crap food, so I need to cook if I'm going to eat.

I. What’s your least favorite season?
Winter—it's cold and often has dangerous weather. Plus it's so bleak, and my electric bill is higher because of the heat.

J. Can you sew?
Enough to do basic repairs. I actually have a sewing machine that I've forgotten how to thread, so I haven't used it in years. I did take home-ec in 7th and 8th grades, and costume construction in college.

K. What is your favorite fruit?
Blueberries and strawberries, which are the most diabetic friendly. I don't eat much fruit because of what it does to my blood sugar levels.

L. Are you health conscious?
As a gluten-sensitive diabetic, I certainly am. I'm also conscious that a lot of medical advice (from the American Diabetes Association, for instance) is pure crap and/or propaganda from Big Pharma that wants to sell meds and treatments—not cures.

M. Do you think you’re very conscious of the feelings of others or more self oriented?
Depends on who the others are, and how I'm feeling. But, as I've gotten older, I've gotten more empathetic.

N. Do you curse a lot?
Not much. Only when a situation requires it.

O. Do you remember lyrics easily?
Sometimes. I can remember lyrics from 50 years ago, but I can't remember any recent ones.

P. Can you roll your tongue?
Yep, but why do I need to?

Q. Is there a certain food you often crave for no reason?
Sometimes chocolate.

R. What was the last book you purchased?
Does it count if it hasn't arrived yet? I pre-ordered James Nagy's Smith Mountain Dam and Lake, but it won't get here until mid-March. The last one I purchased that I've received was Talk About Trouble, a collection of oral histories collected in the 30s by WPA writers.


S. Where was your last vacation?
I'm not even sure when my last actual vacation was. Maybe to Lancaster Pennsylvania in the mid-80s.  I prefer short trips to vacations.

T. Last movie you watched? Did you enjoy it?
TV movie, Amazon Prime on the iPad, or in a theatre? The last movie I watched (all the way through0 on the iPad was Pride and Prejudice. Loved it! I won't watch a movie all the way through if I'm not enjoying it.

U. Think of your oldest friend. If you met them now do you think you would still become friends?
Which oldest friend? From childhood? We lost touch long ago. From college? A former roommate of mine and I don't see each other very often, but we can still pick up the conversation where it last left off.

V. Paris, London and New York… which one would you live in, which would you visit for a day, which would you visit for a fortnight?
Wouldn't live in any of them! I wouldn't live in any big city again. I like living in a rural area with a small town or two not far away. Visiting London would be interesting, since a lot of my ancestors came from England. The only one I've visited is New York City.

W. Do you usually sleep with your closet door open or closed?
Closed. I have a very inquisitive kitty that will climb the clothes to see what's on the top shelf.


X. Have you ever broken a bone? If so, how did it happen?
I flipped off a runaway horse in 1977 and compressed a couple of vertebrae. A few years later, I broke my hand when I hit ice while shoveling snow. And I've had a toe broken by a horse who stood on it.

Y. How do you like your eggs?
Scrambled. That's how I fix them every morning. I also like my eggs fresh from the farm. See my previous post.

Z. What was your last argument about and who with?
I don't remember. While I might have disagreements, I rarely argue. It isn't worth the trouble.
~


1 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

Thanks for stealing the Sunday Stealing meme! I enjoyed your answers. I'm sorry you've had so many broken bones, too!

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home