Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Upgrade Woes

Here we go again. I decided to update the iMac to Snow Leopard.


I was a little hesitant because of what happened with my iBooka few years ago, but I popped in the disk and the upgrade started.

Long-time readers might recall that in November 2009, I ported all the stuff on the iMac (with Leopard operating system) over to a new iBook (with Snow Leopard OS), but I had a big problem with fonts not displaying correctly. I blogged about it here ("Leopard & Snow Leopard & Word, Oh My!") and here ("The MacBook Woes Continue"), and how an advanced Apple tech rep named Tammy finally fixed the problem here ("The Woes Done Gone").

After today's installation was complete, the message said the install was successful. But the same font problem happened again today. I called Apple. I'd thought my warranty on the iMac didn't expire until mid-March, but it had actually expired a couple of weeks ago, so the nice tech guy couldn't help me unless I paid a fee. However, he suggested I try to fix the problem myself by going into the font book and validating fonts. So that's what I did—and I did find several fonts that were corrupted. However, that didn't fix the problem: documents in both Word and Pages looked like crap, and the documents wouldn't print.

Here are two examples of how bad the font problem is. I used Times New Roman for both. The first was written in Pages, the native word processor for Apple. Besides the spacing problems, the punctuation was badly messed up:

Word was better, but not by much. 


The printers don't work for most fonts, but a few fonts that I don't normally use look OK and will print. So, looks like I'll have to call Apple again. And pay a fee to upgrade this upgrade.

Oh, woe.
~

Edited on March 10 to add: On Friday afternoon, Apple support tech David M. fixed the font problem in a bit less than two hours. I had to download a temporary program that enabled him to see my iMac and then he walked me through how to fix it. I didn't have to pay a fee because Snow Leopard has free 90-day tech support.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Omg, I am so bad with this stuff I wouldn't have any idea what to do!

Of course it was expired and you have to pay a fee!

11:05 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

I am sorry you are having these troubles. Hopefully you'll get it sorted out soon.

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home