Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Earth Day in My Yard

 Yesterday was Earth Day, although some celebrations were held today. My lawn is its own celebration.


The plants around the gazebo, the lawn, and the field across the road have gone green. So have the bed beside the driveway, the evergreen tree, and the oaks.



The lambs ears are green. . .


. . . the lilacs are about to bloom. . . .


. . . most of the tulips have bloomed. . . 



. . . and the luminaria are already blooming.


On the gazebo, the wisteria that Claudia gave me two years ago is taking off and taking over.


Around the gazebo, flowers are blooming. I thought the bluebells I bought at a plant sale last year had died, but they didn't.


The dianthus survived the winter, too.


The rosemary is thriving and covered in blooms. I can't remember the name of the herb in front of it.


Near the house, my favorite iris is blooming.


The grass is so green that it hardly looks real.


The mulberry tree, which came up on its own a decade ago, is covered in leaves. The violets at its base also came up on their own.


The phlox behind the tree-stump planter was transplanted from Mama's yard in Roanoke a decade ago. It'll bloom white later in the summer.


I also transplanted poppies from Mama's yard. One is blooming now but the others aren't far behind.


A lot of violets came up voluntarily, but the luminaria originally came from Mama's yard.


Two large spirea bushes were already here. Here's one, but the other is equally covered in blooms.


In the side yard, the pines are growing new cones.


I was going to take some bags and pick up some debris, but someone decided he wanted the bags.


~






5 Comments:

Blogger Marcie Flinchum Atkins said...

I think the herb in front of the rosemary is oregano. At least that's what mine looks like. Yum!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

I think you're right!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

Becky, I hope Cupcake will soon get better. My mare, Doll, was 29 when she died.

Your yard and plants are gorgeous! Do you hire out?

5:51 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Nope. This is why John has so many tractors and lawnmowers, though.

8:52 PM  
Blogger R.M. said...

Your iris are beautiful! So lush, looks like Ireland! We're a couple weeks, at least, behind you up here in the Piedmont Plateau.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home