Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Morning Has Broken

This morning was a big improvement over yesterday morning when the driveway was a sheet of ice, the ice-crusted lawn crunched under my feet, dark clouds loomed low, and the odor of skunk was in the air.

Yesterday morning was winter at its worst. This morning promised spring. Take a look:

The view to the north.
This is the view I see through my study window.

Looking north and slightly east from my porch.
This is also the view I see through my study window.

Looking a little more east.
Smith Mountain is at the right.

Looking further east.
Now Smith Mountain is in the middle.

Jim-Bob sits on the sidewalk.

Looking east. The sun is behind the pin oak.

And, of course, there's a cat.

Yesterday, this driveway was a sheet of ice.

What a difference a day makes!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

You have beautiful views from your home! Yes, today was a much needed break from the cold weather, ice, and snow.

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want your study window view. I stare at a wall when I blog.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I almost thought spring was coming.

11:17 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Lovely shots. I do hope you're right and spring is around the corner!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Maryannwrites said...

I envy you your view. My office window looks out on probably the most unattractive section of our little 5-acre farm. I see our small shed, the top of our neighbor's shed and a few pine trees. Sometimes, I do see a lot of birds flitting around in the trees and swooping down to snatch something off the ground. But only if there is not a cat out there. LOL

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home