Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Catching Sunshine

 Merry Christmas! Today is Old Christmas, a day when spirits walk the earth, animals talk, and elderbushes bloom. Last evening, in every direction, the sky looked mysterious.


Smith Mountain (lower right) is to the east.


 Jack's Mountain is to the west.



 Twelve-mile long Turkeycock Mountain is to the south.

Seeing such unusual clouds, I wondered what the day might bring; I've blogged about happenings on Old Christmas before: here and here.

This morning, when I braved the 24-degree temperature and brisk wind to feed, I saw no spirits and didn't find anything blooming. The barn kittens were a bit talkative, though, with purrs and mews. Melody grumbled that I was late feeding. The dogs barked. That's what they do every morning.

Later this morning, a strange beagle appeared at our house, but she didn't say anything. She wore a collar, so she probably wasn't a stray. Ruby Sherwood, the resident day-care dog who sits on the settee on my deck and waits for her mommie to return from work, took a liking to her. In fact, Ruby took her into the garage and showed her where the garbage bag was. Apparently, they found enough in one bag  for brunch.

Hubby and I were watering horses and couldn't concern ourselves with the visiting dog for a while. However, when I took a good look, I knew I'd seen pictures of that beagle on the Internet. It was Sunshine, who'd had puppies on December 5. A look at Sunshine's, uh, undercarriage confirmed that she was nursing pups.

I called Claudia, who lives just over yonder and who knows the folks who've taken in Sunshine. She checked with Sunshine's care-givers and—sure enough—Sunshine had gone missing. Claudia said she'd be right over. I grabbed a lead shank and went out to secure Sunshine.

But she wasn't there. She'd been there only five minutes before.

"Ruby, do you know where she is?" I asked, but Ruby wasn't talking. I heard my dogs barking, so I knew Sunshine was in the vicinity. Finally she showed up. I clipped the leadshank on her.



Ruby, always a gracious hostess, stayed nearby while we waited for Claudia.



Soon Sunshine was loaded and homeward bound.





So long, Sunshine!

5 Comments:

Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

Thank you Becky!
Sunshine wimpered all the way home, popped out of the truck, and with nose to ground and tail wagging she scampered up the stairs and into the house!!Happy to be back, and I'm sure her pups were thrilled, although they are eating well on their own now...Time for puppy homes and a spaying of Sunshine!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

OK, blog readers—anyone want a cute puppy? Know anyone who does?

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story and sooo glad she found your house. Otherwise she may have wandered in the cold for a very long time. You deserve a gold star and a hug today, Becky!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

2:45 PM  
Blogger Kas said...

What a happy ending, beagles are great dogs and my mum is going to get one when she retires.

5:28 PM  
Blogger JANET said...

Becky, I had tears in my eyes when I saw Sunshine on the web. I love that dog so much. But unfortunately not living there is a big problem. I don't have it in my heart to put a dog on the run and back here if you don't your breaking the law. So I can't even take a pup. Only another year until retirement and here we come. Then at least I can be around Sunshine again. I really miss that dog. Thank you for being the person you are and calling Claudia.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home