Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Book Debut


Last Tuesday,
Ferradiddledumdaymy Appalachian folktale—debuted at the Franklin County Library. Friends of the Library sold copies.




My cousin, Hunter Brown, went with me and served as my photographer for the evening. Reporter Morris Stephenson of the Franklin News-Post covered the event. He'll have a story in Wednesday's paper.  More than fifty folks turned out to see Bruce Rae (my illustrator) and me read selections from the book:




First, some other entertainers warmed up the crowd:


     

Joshua Grice, a kindergarten teacher from Lee-Waid Elementary School, played and sang.  (Ibby Greer took the photos of the girl with guitar and of Mr. Grice.) 



Bruce and I made our appearance, read from the book while a library helper ran our Powerpoint presentation of Bruce's illustrations, and answered questions. The audience had lots of questions:


Claudia Condiff mentioned the book launch on her All Furry Critters blog.


On Thursday, we did another appearance at the Westlake branch of the Franklin County Library.


Westlake has a really neat "Smartboard" that allows computer projections. Our Powerpoint presentation was in the background while we read from the book: (Fellow Lake Writer Sally Roseveare took the photos below)


We did our reading from one side while librarian Marilyn Amerson ran the Powerpoint show from the other side. Below, Bruce assumes the role of Ferradiddledumday, the strange little feller who gives Gillie the power to spin hay into gold.


On her Smith Mountain Lake Mystery Writer's blog, Sally Roseveare posted her impression of the reading. Betsy Ashton posted her account on her Mad Maxisms blog

I had a good time doing these appearances and I hope to do many more.
~

10 Comments:

Blogger Elena DeRosa said...

Nice turnout!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

The Rocky Mount edition was fun, sorry I missed the other. Samantha was careful to 'dress like Gillie'...her own idea.I have pictures and will blog about my view on it in my next blog.
Meanwhile, who'll stop this snow?

11:12 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Sounds like a good time! I am glad this is going so well for you.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I hope you sell tons of books Becky!

11:29 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Don't know if I'll sell tons, but I would like to see the publisher sell out of the first press run soon!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

How exciting! Can't wait to read your book. Will I be able to order it from Amazon?

8:47 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

It's available for pre-order on Amazon now.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Love the picture! And so glad you had a great turnout!!!

3:12 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

Congratulations on the new book, Becky. Cannot wait to read it. Looking forward to seeing you in March.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

I'm looking forward to visiting Piedmont Writers in March!

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home