Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Taking a Peek

Since escaping the mid-sized city of Roanoke for the rural living experience nine years ago, I don’t go to Roanoke much anymore—especially with gas prices over $3.50 a gallon and rising.

If I want to see what’s happening in Roanoke, I can take a peek through a couple of web cams.

I can check the progress of the Art Museum of Western Virginia on the Art Museum’s AM-Cam. For those not familiar with the, uh, controversial architecture of the museum, you might want to take a look. (Warning in advance for all y’all who ain’t from around here: The museum was not hit by a tornado or hurricane. It’s supposed to look like a big hunk of twisted metal and glass. Why? Well, it’s art.)

Here's a peek I took earlier tonight:


If you prefer a broader outlook and better-looking scenery, you can take a look from just below the star on Mill Mountain. Yep, it’s got a StarCam! I grabbed this shot about the same time as the museum shot. Both cams refresh a couple of times a minute.


Because of the rain and haze, you can't see the city all that well. But it's there. You can see the lights.

If you want to see what other parts of Virginia look like, a list of web cams in Virginia is here.

Go ahead. Take a peek. Take several. They're free.

~

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You should show the art museum during the day. That webcam shot at night doesn't do it justice. I just passed it the other day and I was surpised at how beautiful it is. Hearing all the complaints and being a lover of old buildings, I didn't expect to like it so much but I think it's spectacular.

8:40 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

I think the art museum building looks like a space ship that crash landed in the city!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

I can't figure how they'll keep those windows clean. I guess they can pass off the bird droppings as abstract art.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home