Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother’s Day, Roses, & Cupcake

Today is Mother’s Day. Because it’s been so wet (another inch of rain in this afternoon’s thunderstorm), I haven’t been to the graveyard to plant flowers for Mama. But her rose in my backyard bloomed.


This rose grew from a slip taken from one of the bushes in Mama’s yard on Floraland Drive in Roanoke. She’d had these roses in her yard as long as I can remember. Somewhere I have a color picture she took of me in front of a line of them when I was a teenager. I remember they bloomed profusely that year. They always bloomed on Mother's Day.

These irises originally came from Mama's yard, too:


Today is also Cupcake’s birthday. At 27, she’s my oldest critter—my oldest animal child. I remember the night she was born. I missed her birth but saw her take her first step.

Cupcake is growing old. My flower bed is, well, growing:


And storms, like the one we had today, keep things green.


As I post this entry, another storm is rolling in.
~

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful pictures...
Happy mothers day...
we are all earth mothers and mothers to something....happy birthday to cupcake and many more!

2:02 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Having flowers in the yard is a good way to remember family members. I do that too. Have a good week.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I've enjoyed the rain - I hate to water plants and have planted sunflower seeds this year... we'll see what crops up - fingers crossed.

I have a few rose bushes here and John has kept them pruned - an unexpected surprise!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Hasn't this been the most strange month of May? I've lived here all my life, and I can't ever remember so much wind - and what's up with the tornadoes?

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home