Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, May 01, 2009

Time to Stare


I subscribe to The Writer's Almanac, so everyday a poem appears in my e-mail. This was yesterday's poem:

Leisure
by William Henry Davies

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.





What did I stand and stare at this morning? This lavender iris that fellow Valley Writer and former science teacher Bob Sandy gave me last fall. This picture doesn't do it justice. The color is really spectacular.


I also stared at the yellow iris that I brought from my mother's yard ten years ago.


This iris came from Mama's yard, too.


And so did these poppies. I remember them blooming in our yard when I was a child.


I bought this columbine a few years ago. I thought it had died. This morning I noticed it alive and blooming.


Spring gives us lots to look at. Take time to stand and stare. Your life will be richer for it.
~

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

And we'll be healthier too. How true!

9:18 AM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

My iris have not bloomed yet! Yours are very lovely.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous colleen said...

What a pick me up. I remember as a girl finding some Irises growing by an old abandoned house and thinking it was the most exotic flower I had ever seen. I thought it was an orchid or something for a prom. Mine only have one that is going to bloom. Scarcely nothing.

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home