Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Waiting for Gazebo

Yesterday, I bought a gazebo. A building supply in Danville was running a special on them. This morning we waited for it to be delivered.

Instead of coming up Route 29, the tow truck carrying it came up Museville Road which has a lot less traffic. Because the driver had phoned ahead, we knew when to expect it.

Here it comes!


John directs the truck driver where to put it.


Ah, that's the spot.


Yep. Perfect place for a gazebo.


The two guys unstrap it and prepare to unload.


Here it comes.


Almost off—and then it's in place.


Looks a little bare, doesn't it? I need to plant stuff around it. I have a couple of dwarf spirea, three small forsythia, and a bunch of day lilies and iris that need separating. I can get some ferns from the farm. Plus Claudia said I could have a slip of her wisteria.


Now, where should I plant what? (The opening faces south, if that's any help.)

Should I have John till up all around it, or should I just mulch out the grass? How big should I make the flower bed? And should I let the gazebo weather, or should I stain it? (I think we have some deck stain somewhere.)

So much to decide! Any ideas?
~

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Oh, Miss Becky! I just love it! We should have a meeting out there - with the cats!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Betsy Ashton said...

You don't have to mulch out the grass. Lay down a double thickness of newspaper, add a bit of topsoil and then plant through it. The paper will melt away but will kill the grass before it does.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

I always use newspapers under mulch. (At least that's one thing that the Roanoke Times is good for.) I don't have any topsoil that I can easily get to. Just manure and red clay.

The latest decision is that John will roto-till a strip around the gazebo, and I'll put some tomato plants in. They should stake nicely to its sides. The other stuff I'm planting will still be small, so the tomatoes should do OK.

2:28 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

I am envious. I have always wanted a gazebo.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous claudia said...

Finally caught up with your blog! The gazebo looks even nicer in person(we went by the other evening and both of us commented)I like the tomatoe idea..still can come get wisteria and/or lilacs..
Company came today..
will try to blog the pictures of the 40+ foot Raptor( another 5th wheel/toyhauler )!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

I am so jealous - I have wanted a gazebo for forever.
I would advise you to stain the gazebo. Otherwise the boards will tend to crack and bow as they weather.
Tomatoes sound great.
Enjoy!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous gazebo. Good choice on your part since it looks lovely sitting out there in your yard.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home