Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Summertime Blues

My favorite color is blue, but blue flowers are hard to find.


This hydrangea (above) is on my Pole Cat Creek Farm, around the corner and down the road apiece from my house. Some years it's loaded with blooms, but this year blooms are sparse.

My favorite hue of blue is the color of chickory. Lots of chicory grows along the road in front of Pole Cat Creek Farm. You've got to admire such a tough little plant that flourishes in such inhospitable conditions.


This morning the chickory's blue was vibrant. By the time I got back with my camera, the color wasn't as good. The flowers had gotten droopy and wilty.

Heck, by mid-afternoon, I'm droopy and wilty myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Plumbago is a nice blue flowering plant. Do we have those in VA? I know we did in FL. Check this link out for more info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Plumbago%2C_Cape_Leadwort_%28Plumbago_auriculata%29.jpg

Thanks for your acorn advice. It had not occurred to me to google the title. I will do that before locking it in when looking for a publisher. :) Amy

4:00 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I love blue hydrangeas. Another flower that reminds me of my grandmother. I bought one but it's struggling.

Thanks. Now I know what chicory looks like.

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home