Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Award-Winning Retiree

The other day I received an impressive looking envelope. When I opened it, the first thing I noticed was the proclamation, "Notice of Award."

Wow! I'm a winner.

Except I'm not. The "award," from the Social Security Administration, informed me how much I'd get each month in my retirement check.

For over three decades, I've been paying into Social Security. I'm getting my own investment back. If I'm the one responsible for earning it, it's not exactly "an award," is it?

I guess this means when the first check arrives in November, there won't be balloons, flowers, and press coverage.

I probably won't even get a chintzy certificate to hang on the wall next to the rather impressive certificate I got for passing my concealed handgun class.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

LOL - we should have "retirement showers", shouldn't we? A party thrown for you from your friends. Gifts to ready you for those long quiet years in which you need all the financial help you can get. Why not?
I think Hallmark would eat it up with a spoon...

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home