Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Monday, April 24, 2023

Possum for Breakfast

 No, I didn't eat possum for breakfast. The possum came for breakfast. And he brought a friend. 

As we were finishing breakfast in the den, my husband and I saw a possum looking at the cats' empty bowl on the deck . Then another possum appeared. When I went to the sliding glass door for a better look, the possums scurried away. I went to the study to check my email.

Then, in the study window, the first possum appeared. Earlier, I'd put out the cat buffet, so the possum probably couldn't believe his good luck. Grover jumped onto the bookcase to get a better look. I picked up my camera, which was conveniently on my desk.

 

 
Grover was soon joined by Charlotte and Claudine. (Yes, Claudine is sort of upside down.)

 

The possum didn't care who was watching,


 
Soon Orville joined the other three cats. Nothing like a little possum-watching to start the day.

 
I went onto the front porch to get a better look. This surprised possum #1 while possum #2 lurked at the corner of the house

 
Possum #1 decided I was no threat and went back to chowing down. I think Possum #2 really wanted to leave.

 
Possum #1 pondered: Is it better to stay or to go?

 
Finally Possum #1 decided that he didn't like being watched and decided to go with his buddy. Orville watched him depart.

~


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home