Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Thursday, March 30, 2023

Cushions Condensed

 I've owned This End Up furniture since the mid-70s. Every decade or so, I replace the cushions. I last replaced them in 1909, when then-kitten Chloe "helped" me unpack huge big boxes on the deck. After 14 years of continuous use, those cushions needed replacing. Consequently, I ordered some replacements from the aptly named Replace My Cushions.

When they arrived, I was surprised there weren't any huge boxes—just two boxes that looked way too small to contain my order. One box was torn open in a couple of places, so I expected the worst. When I opened the boxes, I saw three tightly compressed packages. 



How could these squashed things possibly decompress? But there was some kind of valve on each package. What would that do?


My husband opened the value, decompression began and soon revealed exactly the kind of cushions I wanted.


The covers still needed to be zipped, which took both sets of hands. I'm glad all we had to do was zip. I can't imagine trying to get those tight-fitting covers on the cushions. 


Before long, we had a stack of cushions ready to go on the sofa and two chairs.


Charlotte had to inspect them. Then Grover took a look.


After the cats' inspection was complete, we started putting the cushions where they belonged.


These are probably the last set of cushions I'll order for this furniture. I expect they'll outlast me.
~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home