Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Flaxseed Wrap

Since reading Wheat Belly, by William Davis, MD, I've stopped eating wheat products and feel much better. Some folks have asked me what I eat for bread if I'm not eating wheat. The book contains a recipe for a flaxseed wrap that substitutes nicely for bread. It tastes good and is filling.  Here's what you need to make it:

3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon water
1 large egg


Mix together the ground flaxseeds, baking powder, onion powder, paprika and salt in a small bowl.


Stir in the 1 tablespoon coconut oil. The oil is solid at room temperature, so you might want to heat it slightly. The mixture will be a little thick.


Beat in the egg and 1 tablespoon water until blended. That thins the mixture.


Grease a microwave-safe plate with coconut oil. Pour in the batter and spread evenly over the bottom. I use a fork to sort of comb the mixture out from the center. 


Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes until cooked. I microwave it for 2 minutes and 20 seconds, but your milage may vary. Let cool for 5 minutes.


Then you have this.


Slide a knife or spatula under it to loosen it from the plate and turn it over


The result works great as a wrap—I've used it to make a tuna salad wrap and a sliced chicken wrap—but it's good just as bread. I added some butter (I never use margarine or whatever a "spread" is) . . .


. . . and fold it over. The result is big enough for two servings if you slice it crosswise. And it's goooood! 


Here's the recipe that I found online, but it's also in the book:


This flaxseed wrap has about 6 grams of carbs, as near as I can figure. If you like, you can also make these wraps ahead and refrigerate them. Besides using a wrap for a hunk of bread or a sandwich wrap, you could probably put some pizza toppings on it.

I haven't tried it that way yet, but I'm thinking about it.
~

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becky!
I've been using this site to help with carb counting.
www.saymmm.com/grocerylistmaker.php
You're doing an amazing job of taking care of your diabetes. I'm impressed!

6:57 PM  
Blogger Franz X Beisser said...

I'm impressed with your sticktoativeness!
Is that a word? I know you don't like exclamation marks.

10:53 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Keep up the good work! It is hard to take care of yourself.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Tricia said...

thank you so much for telling me about this! it sounds yummy...but i was wondering if i could cook in skillet since we don't have a microwave...what do you think?

7:25 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

I don't know. Maybe. Possibly you could bake it.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home