Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Maggie in the Woods

by Maggie Mae Mushko
A border collie, age 4 years and 11 months

Mommy finally took me for a walk at the farm! It's been a while since I had a good run. (Mommy walks; I run. That's what border collies do.) Daddy finally mowed the trails so she could walk. And I could run.

The first thing I did when Mommy parked the truck was find my little orange football that squeaks. It was under a lot of stuff in the back of the truck, but I found it.


I love that little orange football. Because it is football season, I forced Mommy to throw it over and over for me. You can barely see it in my mouth in the picture above. Finally she got tired, so I picked the trail I wanted to take.


 I sniffed around to make sure everything was OK. You can't be too careful.


Mommy thought these trees were pretty, but I didn't see any squirrels in them, so they didn't interest me.


The woods are getting pretty now, and there aren't any ticks. Partway down the trail, I stopped because I saw something in the woods.


It was a little buck and I chased him for a while, but I came back about the tenth time Mommy yelled for me. All that running made me get too hot, so I cooled off in the creek.


I love the creek. I love anything that has water in it.


Then we continued our walk. This trail leads to another creek crossing:


I smelled something interesting, so I had to stop and investigate.


I dug for a while, but I didn't find anything.


I didn't see anything interesting in the trees, either.


I looked through the nearby field but didn't find anything worth chasing.


Back in the woods, I sniffed a few interesting smells, but Mommy didn't give me time to investigate. She got on Daddy's four-wheeler and rode back up the hill.


I had to stop what I was sniffing to herd that four-wheeler back to the truck. I'm not used to Mommy moving that fast.

Of course, she wasn't as fast as a border collie, but I'd never tell her that.
~

4 Comments:

Blogger Ellen said...

Cute Maggie! We love running in the woods with our mom and four-wheelin' with her too :o) Sounds like us, complete with cooling off in the creek. Aaaahhh!!! Mom laughs she can see the steam rising off us. Digging for things and checking out smells is so much fun! We want know if found anything good to roll on? We love that!

Your country cousins,
Puppy, Spanky, Becca, Little, Kloe, and River

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maggie is so pretty. Love her black and white coat.

We give our pups a monthly tick preventive. Seems if we don't those darn ticks show up. Nasty critters.

Looks like you have a great woods for walking in.

We are getting rain tonite... woo hoo!!

Di

10:20 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Sounds like you had a delightful walk. Such a pretty place to investigate.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

She's a goodlooking border collie. I hate when people let them get fat. They don't look attractive. And of course it's not healthy. Well, no wonder Maggie keeps her girlish figure with all that running around!

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home