Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, October 03, 2010

Dgeree Scam

This morning's e-mail brought an, uh, interesting offer:



While I don't have a "dgeree," I do have a couple of degrees—from legit educational institutions that I actually attended. My undergraduate work took four years; my graduate degree took two. Not "four to six weeks." Sheesh! Who believes this garbage? 


What got me about this absolute scam e-mail, besides misspelling degree in the subject line and the lack of an apostrophe in can't, are these sentences:


Do not you think that it is time you were paid fair compensation for the level of work you are already doing?


I'm thinking the "do not you think" part indicates that maybe English either is not Lana Crews' native language or else she lacks the educational background to construct a sentence. And I'm not getting paid at all to do housework and tend my numerous critters. I am getting Social Security and Virginia State Retirement. No "four to six weeks" degree is going to increase those checks.


This is your chance to finally make the right move and receive your due benefits.


The right move?! Due benefits? Who is she kidding? Do people really fall for this crap?


If you are like most people, you are more than qualified with your experience, but are lacking that prestigious piece of paper known as a diploma that is often the passport to success.


I'm not lacking a "prestigious piece of paper." My Master of Arts in Teaching diploma from The Citadel is real gen-u-wine sheepskin, not paper. If I didn't have a couple diplomas, I wouldn't have over three decades of teaching experience. "Passport to success"? What a cliché.


A great idea? NOT!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Sally Roseveare said...

I can't believe ANYBODY would fall for this scam!!! But I know some would. Amazing.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home