Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Growing Season

April showers bring May flowers.

But our showers came in May. The recent rains (almost every day this month!) have helped my flowers grow. This is the best year I've ever seen for irises.


These irises are ones that Bob Sandy, a Valley Writer and a retired science teacher, gave me last fall. I love this color combination.


He also gave me the white iris.


And this one, too. Is the color mauve?


The lavender ones below originally came from Mama's house.


Is this an iris? It sort of looks like one. I see a lot of these growing wild.


It's been a good year for azaleas, too. All the azaleas were here when we bought the house. The ones that survived last year's drought look a lot better than they did last year.




Yes, the lovely green vine on the tree is indeed poison ivy.

The peonies are just coming out. I transplanted this one from our house in Roanoke in 1999. I'd gotten the original slips from mama in the 1970s.



And with the flowers come bugs. Yesterday I saw the first cicada of the year.


I don't know where it came from.
~

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

I love your Iris flowers! They remind me of fancy hats from the Victorian era.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Your iris are gorgeous. I've always liked iris and have never gotten around to planting any. My azaleas have been pretty this year too. Love the picture of the peonies.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

You have quite a variety of irises! Your mother's is the classic. And what a beautiful picture of the chair by the tree. Isn't that the tree Kelly puked under last year? lol

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

10:13 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

That's the tree!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Lochlanina said...

I believe those ones you asked about,that look like Iris are probably a Siberian iris or a Louisana iris, both of those iris open up like that with the simpler flower structure.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Claudia Condiff said...

Those Iris are the 'Siberian Iris', as the other lady said, It is 'Iris Versicolor'(blue flag), a beardless rhizomatous species that grows 2-3 feet, a common wild iris...I also have them in yellow...My peopnies are coming out, and I have a 'single'in pink with a yellow center..
have to give you some with the wisteria!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Thanks, Claudia. I'd love to have some. Now if it will ever stop raining so we can do our plant exchange. . . .

8:22 AM  
Blogger JANET said...

I have just recently met Becky and enjoyed a guided tour of her gardens. She's been blessed with many and each one is more beautiful than the next. I love the picture from the upper level of her home showing the stairs down and all the azealia. Can't wait until the wisteria takes over the new gazebo. That will be a beautiful sight. Good luck with all the new plantings Becky. Thank you for sharing with us the tour.

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home