Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Monday, June 30, 2008

Today’s "Great News" Scam

I'm getting an award—NOT!

I just got a call from a woman allegedly connected “TGN News” who had “read [my] article in the Smith Mountain Eagle” and wanted to send me a plaque.

Obviously this woman with the heavy oriental accent hadn’t read my article. Lately, I’ve sent in one press release and my usual column.

Anyhow, she wanted to send a plaque to my office for my approval. Huh? I don’t have an office (unless you count my study where my desk usually has at least one cat on it).

I asked her if she’d actually read what I write for the Eagle. No, just the first part of it. I told her that I usually wrote a redneck humor column, but I don’t think she had a clue what that was. Apparently the “article” she read was a press release I sent to the SME about the Pen Women’s scholarship recipient. And she didn’t even read the whole article.

Plus she thought I lived in Roanoke. (Uh, not for the past nine years.) I told her I lived in rural America. So again she asked where my office was. I had already told her I didn’t have an office.

Apparently the “article” she read was a press release I sent to the SME about the Pen Women’s scholarship recipient.

I questioned the caller. She was sending me a plaque absolutely free, right? No, for a ten-day approval! She never got around to mentioning how much this thing would cost. (Let’s see, someone awards you a plaque but you have to pay for it after you’ve admired it for ten days? I don’t think so!)

About the third or fourth time I asked, “What kind of a scam are you running?” she thanked me, told me to have a nice day, and hung up.

So, be warned: If a woman with a heavy accent calls and wants to award a plaque to you, make sure you ask how much it will cost. I never could get her to tell me. But I did a bit of Googling and found a website. I'm pretty sure she called from that company. If so, the CEO of the company says this:
I’m so sure that you’ll love seeing your article mounted and hanging on your wall that I’m willing to take all the risk and send it out for your inspection with a complete 30 day Money Back Gaurantee. Just click below. When you decide to keep the plaque forever, you’ll pay just $159.00. Remember an additional plaque is half price.

And that's for the plaque of only a one-page news article! But they'll gaurantee your money back if you're not happy.

Are there people so vain that they really fall for this over-priced stuff?
~

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

There must be or the scam wouldn't continue. I am glad to learn of this.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

How do these people keep finding you? I've never heard of something so ridiculous. At least you can use it for humorous writing material!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home