Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Hail? Yes!

June brings certain signs. Today, for example, I saw the first turtle (actually, a terrapin) cross the road. Soon there'll be lots.

Yesterday, the prickly pear bloomed. I took this picture about 5:40 this evening.


So far, only two blossoms have appeared, but before long, there'll be lots.

And the hurricane season has officially started. We haven't had one hear yet, but there was a small tornado in Roanoke last evening. (I was in Roanoke when it happened but missed it.)

This evening, we had a hard rain for several minutes (nothing new there). But we also had our first hailstorm of the season.


Hailstones covered both lawn and deck.


And after the hailstorm, the sun reappeared.


We have a bit of hay down on Smith Farm, but it was still green when the storm hit, so it shouldn't be damaged. Some farmers in the area weren't so lucky.

Tomorrow will be hot and sunny, and we'll be cutting hay on Smith Farm all day.

Make hay while the sun shines. Not when hail falls.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

What a nice prickly pear.

Yes, the weather has been intense. All these tornadoes! I feel like I'm back in Oklahoma!


www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

5:57 AM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

We had a bad storm here, but no hail. I am glad we didn't have baseball last night.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know I left the Keys because of hurricanes...this tornado stuff makes me edgy!I have hail stones in my freezer now! You should have seen my horses!
claudia

3:02 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

That was a nasty storm wasn't it? We lost power for about 4 hours. That doesn't happen too often out here, but when it does, it's usually a doozie.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home