Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sixty Bales


“Who hath not felt that breath in the air,
A perfume and freshness strange and rare,
A warmth in the light, and a bliss everywhere,
When young hearts yearn together?
All sweets below, and all sunny above,
Oh! there's nothing in life like making love,
Save making hay in fine weather!”

—Thomas Hood (1799-1845)

The hay is baled on Polecat Creek Farm, and we had fine weather for it. Half the sixty bales are enough to feed my mares through the winter.


Is that bale a thing of beauty, or what? If you think of hay as art, you're not alone. Check out Hay In Art: A collection of great works of hay. You'll find hay paintings galore and a plethora of hay poems, such as the one at the top of this post.

The next few days promise storms, so we'll hold off cutting the other two farms for a day or two.

Meanwhile, I'll savor the memory of yesterday's field: the sweet smell of "a perfume and freshness strange and rare."

Bliss everywhere. . . .

~

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

The hay crop so far has been good this year. I really hope this continues and the hay doesn't dwindle over the summer.

7:27 AM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Well, I think the beauty may be in the eye of the beholder in this case. I love a fresh cut lawn or field, but I just don't have the same appreciation of hay that you do.

I would probably feel differently if I had worked for days or weeks to cut and roll the hay.

You can be proud of a job well done!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

My father in law bought a baler just so he can play in our field. He and Shannon plan on making hay this weekend. What they plan on doing with it, I haven't the slightest idea. We don't have any livestock!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

At the price of hay nowadays, it's probably for investment purposes. Saturday doesn't look like a good day for making hay, though.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home