Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Rain and Flower Beds

The rain has fallen on and off for the last three days! Today’s forecast calls for rain all week. We need it.

The dog kennel is a sea of mud. (Maggie loves rain and mud, but the other dogs don’t.) Everything else is lush and green. It’s wonderful.

Before the rain started on Saturday, I made flower beds. That’s right: flower beds, not flowerbeds. See:


Someone gave us this old bed frame, and it’s perfect to mark the far corner of our yard. Plus the deer won’t like having to reach between the metal parts to eat my gladiola bulbs. This flower bed is still a work in progress. I’ve transplanted lilies, iris, Job’s tears, prickly pear, and purple coneflowers from elsewhere in my yard, but I’ll add a few more plants eventually.


The aluminum headboard in the picture below was only a dollar at Goodwill. It makes a nice addition to the already established flowerbed by the driveway. However, I’ve added some lilies and other flowers that were planted elsewhere in the yard, and I’ll plant a few annuals when it stops raining.

The view looking from the road.


The original part of the bed. Notice the beautiful puddle to the right!

Flower beds give the yard a whimsical touch. After all, we shouldn’t take ourselves too seriously.

But I'm seriously glad it's raining.
~

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Miss Becky, you never cease to make me laugh. I LOVE your flower beds!!!! When folks hear that deer won't eat your bulbs between the rails, you may have to patten your invention. I can't wait to laugh with you more on Saturday! I'll bring some snacks for the road.

7:37 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Very cute! I have seen the flower bed idea, but not the bedframe.

The rain is much needed, but my grass may be a foot tall by the time it all ends.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I'm reading a book called, "Population: 485." It's about small town country life. He just talked about yard whimsy. He said tacky is IN now, lol. Love the flower beds.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home