Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Mulch Ado About Something

"Make hay when the suns shines" is an old rule for rural living. I've discovered another one: "Don't mulch when the wind is blowing."


John got me a load of mulch the other day. Every time I tried to unload some, the wind blew and handfuls of mulch vanished.

So, I've concentrated instead on cleaning some of the flowerbeds where the mulch will go when the wind finally stops blowing. This partially cleaned bed is beside the driveway:


It's still a work in progress. since I took this picture, I've cleaned most of it and put down a little mulch. but it has a long way to go.

I like working in the earth. It's good therapy. From Quote Garden:
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt.
~Author Unknown

This one, from Garden Quotes maybe says it best:

All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar.
~Helen Hayes
I've been digging my fingers into the earth. And now I can't get them clean. But my spirits soar. Watch my garden grow. I'll post its progress in a few days.

If the wind ever dies down.

~

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy Hanek said...

Good luck with the wind dying down! I am still waiting for the lamb-part of March. When does it come back FOR GOOD?

10:59 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

The wind. Kurt says it's as bad here lately as it was in Oklahoma.

11:35 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

I am envious. My gardens are looking pitiful and my allergies are so bad right now I can't get out to care for them. We need rain to rid the air of the pollen.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Clementine said...

They're calling for a snow/mix tonight. I hope ya'll had an easy trip back from the festival. I can't wait to read all about it!!!

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home