Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Monday, April 16, 2007

More Ill Wind Blows

We are currently without power and have been for several hours. The wind blew fiercely last night and is still blowing. Fortunately, we have phone service, so I can post via my iBook (now with battery level of 62% ).

Last evening, to Maggie's delight, about a third of the kennel was under water. Over an inch of rain was in the dog pans this morning. She was the only one out of the dog stall when John and I fed last night. The others had no intention of coming out.

The house and property have sustained no measurable damage. We have a propane stove and propane fireplace to get us through the night. And a bathtub of water so we can flush without draining our well's holding tank.

Even with the inconveniences, we are so lucky compared to those who lost their lives or lost family members at the Virginia Tech shooting this morning. We get bits of news via a battery radio. The news is so horrible, I can hardly comprehend what happened or why.

The sun is shining brightly now. Except for the high wind, the day would be beautiful. As Shakespeare wrote, "So fair and foul a day I have not seen."

But ill winds blow.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

Those ill winds definitely blew hard today.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Amy Hanek said...

I am without words today... My sister teaches at Prices Fork Elementary near campus and my parents live 1 mile from campus. We are mourning so many losses today - it is hard to comprehend.

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home