Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Prime Writing

My writing is getting out a bit this year. While I contributed to an e-book Self-Publish Your Book: Authors Share Their Experiences, that came out in February and received my contributor’s copy, the ebook is no longer listed on the web. (Can I say I was published in a very limited edition?) A Cup of Comfort for Writers (with my essay) and It Was a Dark and Stormy Night (with my dreadful “Worst Western sentence) will be both be out in August. I’m pretty sure I’m going the POD route with More Peevish Advice—Thursday I sent the manuscript to the copyright office for registration. With a little luck, I’ll have More Peevish Advice in print by the time the tourists return to Smith Mountain Lake.

I’ve also sold some writing-related articles Prime Living, a regional magazine for the 50-plus crowd, The February print issue contained my article on blogging. This month, “Blogging to Adventure” is posted on the Prime Living website.


The March Prime Living has a picture of my Lake Writer buddy, Sally Roseveare, on the cover. She work-shopped her article about her hot air balloon ride through Lake Writers and a bunch of us encouraged her to get it published. That Sally is both afraid of heights and a grandmother of ten makes her article especially interesting.

Sally is also one of the bloggers I mentioned in the blogging article, and she’s also my Beta reader for my middle-grade novel-in-progress. She has an eagle eye for spotting typos; I just can’t see my own typos. A mystery writer who can contrive intricate plots, Sally is a big help at spotting my plot inconsistencies, too. Maybe, with her help, I’ll have my novel written by this summer. I wanted to have it finished for the CNU Writers’ Conference because I have an appointment with an editor. My New Year’s resolution was to have two-thirds of it finished by July. I’ve got five chapters done, so I may yet achieve my goal.

Meanwhile, I’ll keep on writing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home