Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Monday, March 26, 2007

For the Birds


At noon last Tuesday, my yard looked like a scene for Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds.

However, instead of attacking Tippi Hedren, my birds were busily involved in degrubbing the lawn.

This year I’ve had a LOT more birds than past years. The grackle population soared this spring. Plus I have a resident year-round mockingbird, Chubby, who guards the deck against jays and cardinals who would eat the sunflower seed I put on the deck rail.

Chubby has been around for a couple of years. He roosts on the propane line under the deck. (How do I know that? He leaves certain unmistakable signs on the concrete patio under the line.) While most mockingbirds are slender, Chubby is built like a softball.

When he hears me on the deck, he comes out and demands birdseed. He eats like a pig.

The grackles, however, are content to pig out on the grubs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home