Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, January 08, 2016

Get Around, Get Around

I Don't Get Around

At least not much anymore. Old age, diabetic neuropathy, and myofascial pain have made getting around so awkward that I've limited the places I try to go. (Herewith begins a whine about health conditions, so you might want to stop reading now.)

After a year or so of having temporary handicapped hang-tags because I kept thinking things would get better, I now have a 5-year handicapped hang-tag. Things aren't going to get better. The leg pains are here to stay, along with occasional leg-swelling. Plus the weakness and fatigue.

I have to use a handicapped cart when I shop, but a lot of stores aren't handicapped friendly. Here are some pictures I took several weeks at a Kroger where I shop each "Senior Citizens" day. I took all the pictures while sitting in the handicapped cart.


Some aisles are blocked so I can't maneuver through them. While I can get past the two shopping carts below, those two big carts at the end of the aisle are a challenge.




In the picture below, you can see the edge of my cart as I tried unsuccessfully to make a too-narrow turn.


I barely squeezed through the space below.


Not all stores offer handicapped carts. I rarely shop at those stores unless they're small and offer a place to sit.

At home I keep a walker handy. Fortunately, I only use it a few times a week—mainly to help me steady myself when I get out of bed. One in a while, I'll use it to get me down the long hall from bedroom to kitchen.


I use the rollator every day, though. A rollator is kind of a souped-up walker with a seat. It's higher than a chair, so it's handy to sit in when I cook. Every morning, I scramble the eggs while sitting in the rollator. It's also handy for getting laundry from the dryer to the basket. 


I've taken the rollator out in public a few times when I thought I might have to stand for too long. Luckily it's lightweight and folds up to fit in the backseat. I can't stand up for more than a few minutes, which isn't a problem at home because I have plenty of places inside and out where I can sit. But it's a big problem out in the world where I'm afraid of falling and breaking a hip. (Both my mother and grandmother were victims of broken hips, so I come by this fear honest).

For going out in the yard, I couldn't do without my golf cart, which I keep in the garage close to the kitchen door. I blogged about getting it here. I've even taken it to the farm for a ride around.


I use the golf cart to feed the barn cats and horse twice a day. But for serious outdoor mobility, I use the Polaris 500 ATV, which we've owned for several years. The Polaris is the way I get around fast outdoors. I've blogged about taking it to the farm here and, a few years ago when I didn't depend on it so much, my border collie blogged about it here.


So,  I guess I still get around—just not as far or as fast or for as long as I used to be able to do. I just need a little help from several devices.

~

1 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

I feel ya. Having had to use a cane now for several years, I know what a pain in the patoot needing help to get along can be. But it is better than being bedridden.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home