Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, April 06, 2013

Over Coffee

I've recycled five of my short stories into another Kindle e-book. Since coffee appears in each story, the title of the story collection is Over Coffee.



As the subtitle says, the stories are about awkward relationships. In "HotGuy16," which won the 2007 Virginia Writers club Golden Nib Fiction Contest, an older woman who pretended to be a teenage girl on MySpace, goes to a cafe to check out the teenage boy she met online. In "Making Changes," which placed third in the 1999 Sherwood Anderson Short Story Contest and was originally published in the Spring 2001 issue of Virginia Adversaria magazine, a soon-to-be-divorced redneck discovers the girl of his dreams isn't at all what he expected. In "Chosen Child," which appeared in my 2005 vanity-published collection, The Girl Who Raced Mules & Other Stories, a teenaged unwed mother tells a lie which improves her life considerably. In "The Roadhunter,"winner of the 2004 Lonesome Pine Short Story Contest, two high-school buddies reconnect after being apart for years and find they have little in common. In "Denouement,"a couple meet for coffee to mark the end of their marriage.

Over Coffee is a bargain at 99¢. You can buy it for your Kindle (or Kindle app on your iPad or smartphone) here.

The cups and tablecloth on the cover are mine. Like the stories, they are recycled. The cups are the Ella's Rooster pattern; I bought the dinnerware from a secondhand store in 2008 and blogged about the purchase on my "Frugal Living" blog here. I bought the tablecloth secondhand at the Discovery Shop a few years ago. I took a picture and emailed it to Eduardo Mitchell who used my photo to design the cover. I really like his font choice.

Visit my Amazon page here for a complete listing of my available books. Meanwhile, in the coming months, I'll be recycling more of my material into e-books.
~

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger CountryDew said...

I so glad you are doing this. Excellent!

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home