Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Rest in Peace

That's the title of my latest e-book, a collection of three short stories that each won the Sherwood Anderson Short Story Contest. Here's how it looks on my iPad.


The three stories had been previously published in my vanity-pubbed paperback, The Girl Who Raced Mules & Other Stories, so you could say I'm recycling them. But they're a cheap read at 99¢. And they're funny.


The title story, "Rest in Peace," won the 1996 Sherwood Anderson Contest. It's about a country boy who wants to be a preacher. He practices preaching funeral services on his baby sister's doll, roadkill,  and his drunken father. 

In "Everybody's Business," the 1999 winner, a small-town jock futilely tries to score with the new girl at school.

In "Burning Bridges," the 2002 winner, a rural Virginia woman tries to set the Yankees straight about the real Thanksgiving, but causes problems at her daughter's elementary school, gets herself arrested, and alienates her mother-in-law. 

Successfully e-publishing my novel, Patches on the Same Quilt, showed me I could learn how to format and publish on Kindle. (I blogged about that here.) Consequently, I'll be recycling more of my short stories in future e-books. 

Look for my next e-book in about two months.
~




Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

The first page hooked me. As soon as I figure out how to use the tablet Kurt bought me for Christmas (yes, Christmas--I'm slow at technology)I am going to buy this book. You can't beat the price!

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home