Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Friday, September 04, 2009

Olivia's Babies

I hadn't seen Olivia's kittens for a week. Since their birth on August 8, she's moved them several times. For a while she had kept them on the floor of the 1971 Ford truck. I'd been looking in the window a lot, so she probably decided the kittens needed privacy. One morning they were just gone.

Because of Olivia's respiratory problem, I thought that they might not make it. I didn't know how badly the yellow kitten was injured from being tangled in the after-birth that wrapped tightly around one of his hind legs. I knew that his leg could move, but I was worried that it might be a mess.

Last night, when I came back from a Valley Writers meeting in Roanoke, Olivia met me at the garage door and followed me to the kitchen door where the kittens were waiting.

"Here they are," Olivia seemed to say.

They let me pet them. The yellow is missing most of his foot, but he barely limps. It healed clean. I've had special needs cats before so if he can cope, so can I.

This morning the kittens were out and about. The two lighter ones are a bit timid, but two dark ones are especially curious. Lucy is the bolder of the two, but Chloe is loud and pushy. Lucy and Chloe are both playful.

Their mottled coats make Chloe and Lucy look like they were made from spare cat parts. Chloe's on the left. Check out her orange tail ring.


Chloe's on the bottom here.


Lucy takes time out for a snack.


When I fed Olivia, the kittens decided they could eat big kitty food, too.


Afterwards, Chloe (who'd waded in the milk) and her sister (so far unnamed) washed up . . .


. . . and posed for a picture.


OK. They're cute, but I mustn't get attached.

Mustn't get attached. . . .


Meanwhile, what do I name this one?
~

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger KathyA said...

Right, you're not getting attached!! :) I think she looks like a Jessie.

9:49 PM  
Blogger KathyA said...

That photo of her looking at her mother's tail is priceless!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Hmmm. Jessie has possibilities. I'll add that to my list.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jessie is the cutest one!! I love black and orange spots. But they are all adorable!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Becky Mushko said...

Since Jessie sounds too close to Lucy (and my cats answer to their names and to the group call, "Cats!"), I'm thinking of Jessica. Sounds a bit more old-fashioned.

Anyhow, her personality seems a bit bland so far. She and Bob (the orange and white male) usually stay together and don't come out as much as the dark ones.

11:26 PM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

Lovely kitties. Made me sneeze just to look at the pictures! LOL. They are adorable.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Clementine said...

Must...not....be....tempted....BUT...I just love kitties!!!!!! You should keep them all. How about a literary name for the little calico? Frost, Hemingway, or Edith, in honor of Mrs. Wharton.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Sweet Virginia Breeze said...

Ahh, they are all so cute! The calico looks a little like my Mazie Grace.
Since you have a Lucy, how about an Ethel?

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Claudia said...

Looks like a butterfly on her head!
I don't know any cute butterfly names...but I think she looks quite a proper lady, so I would call her 'Priscilla' or 'Penelope'..
musn't get attached....
etc..
etc..

10:19 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

Those are gorgeous kitties.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home