Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Cleaning Up

On Sunday, John and I mowed our family graveyard in Union Hall. It looked pretty good by the time we had finished.


The picture below shows the road leading to the graveyard, which is beyond the curve and just to the left of where the road disappears.


Each sign like this costs VDOT $70 to erect, but I guess they figure it's worth it if folks keep the road they adopt clean. There are signs like this on roads all over the county.

After we finished mowing the graveyard, I decided to mow the right of way along the road from the graveyard to the farm's main entrance—a distance of about a thousand feet. VDOT hadn't mowed the right-of-way for a while, so it was slow going in the tall grass. Every few feet, I had to stop and pick up litter.

I found a lot of bottles and beer cans on the right of way . . .


. . . as well as a bunch of bags and wrappers and picnic-type stuff. Guess folks headed back from the lake are too busy to drive the extra mile to the dumpster. Luckily we had some bags in the truck to put all the debris in.


Even though we haven't "adopted" this stretch of road, it borders our property, so we want to keep it clean.


This is a lot of trash for a thousand foot stretch.


As we drove to the dumpster, we noticed lots more trash along the county roads.

I guess all those $70 VDOT signs don't work very well.
~

3 Comments:

Blogger KathyA said...

People's abandoning their trash for others to pick up really angers me. The ultimate in selfish acts, I think.

11:52 AM  
Blogger CountryDew said...

You're a good woman to pick up that trash.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Greener Pastures--A City Girl Goes Country said...

I just don't get why people litter, especially around here where there are Dumpsters every few miles. There's no excuse! I think you know we adopted our road. My pet peeve is trash and I've always picked it up wherever I live so I figured I should at least get some credit. That is great that you care too.

www.GreenerPastures--ACityGirlGoesCountry.blogspot.com

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home