Peevish Pen

Ruminations on reading, writing, genealogy and family history, rural living, retirement, aging—and sometimes cats.

© 2006-2023 All rights reserved

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rural Virginia, United States

I'm an elderly retired teacher who writes. Among my books are Ferradiddledumday (Appalachian version of the Rumpelstiltskin story), Stuck (middle grade paranormal novel), Patches on the Same Quilt (novel set in Franklin County, VA), Them That Go (an Appalachian novel), Miracle of the Concrete Jesus & Other Stories, and several Kindle ebooks.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Virginia Writers Club: 2008

Yesterday, I went with three other Valley Writers to the Virginia Writers Club annual meeting. This year is the VWC’s 90th anniversary. Consequently, many pictures were on display to commemorate some of the club’s history.


I was in several of them.

Do you see my pictures? Think Ida B. Peevish.


The event was held at Randolph Macon College in Ashland. Yesterday was the first time I’d seen the campus in daylight, although I had attended several fraternity parties there in the mid-60s.

We had a wonderful buffet luncheon on the second floor of the Macon dining hall. Many works of art decorated the area, including this interesting sculpture.

Part of the entertainment was the presentation of Jim Morrison's short play, "Visit to a Writers Group," with past and future VWC presidents playing the parts. It was a hoot.

The guest speaker was Dean King. I’d heard him speak twice before—at the James River Writers Conference several years ago and at the CNU conference a couple of years ago. His presentations are always worth hearing. Plus I like to hear professional writers tell about their experiences.

When I first joined the VWC over a decade ago, most of the members were professional writers. Now, it seems that the majority are vanity-published (myself included).

Maybe, now that I’ve been voted in as a “Member-at-Large” on the VWC Board of Governors, I can do something to help attract more pros again. We could certainly benefit from their expertise.

I didn’t come home empty-handed. I received a check for my third-place poetry win in the VWC’s annual two-tier contest. I’d won first place in the Valley Writers Chapter contest, which made me eligible for the second tier. One of the VWC membership benefits is the annual contest.

I also returned with a copy of Sally Honenberger’s new book, Waltzing Cowboys (Cedar Creek Press).


The book isn’t in bookstores yet, but it’s on amazon.com for pre-order. Sally’s blog, “News From the Author,” updates readers on what she’s doing. I’ll post a review on this blog in a few weeks.

Stay tuned.
~

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Clementine said...

Sounds like you had a great trip. Congratulations on your poetry win!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home